Chennai 3-wheelers

The breed more popularly called the "auto-karans" are some force to reckon with. Getting an auto in Chennai is a feat needing mastery. Total mastery. You have to be standing on the right side of the road to be able to reach your destination.

Say, if you want to go from Adyar to Nandanam, you cannot commit blasphemy and stand on the wrong side of the road. You will be charged with a smirk and a scowl, and you will have to part with an extra 10 rupees.
In all probability, the distance would not even demand such a huge fare of Rs. 40. If lady luck is smiling at you, you might even get an autowallah who would drop you at your place for a meagre Rs. 30!

Guess, I need to appease all the gods so that when I step out of my cozy coccoon, I get an auto and the auto-karan who does not have the sole goal in his life of reducing my bank balance. My dad, is a real smart guy. He never succumbs to the temptation of hopping into the awkward looking vehicle, the auto. He prefers the much bigger, the more spacious MTC transport. For the uninitiated non-chennaites, it is the green-colored demon, more famously (in?) called the "bus."

Today morning, an auto-devta emerged from the confines of Gandhinagar and offered a ride. Taken by surprise, I told him my address, Nandanam vareenglla...

With a nod of his humble head, the auto - karan agreed to take me (a poor soul) to Nandanam. While I would be giving him more than he deserves, he took me through all the best (?) roads in Chennai. The city that boasts of an IT corridor, Tidel Park (yeah! the govt is planning to put a ticket for the place) etc etc has roads that would put the F1 race tracks to shame.

The great soul took so much pains to take me to Nandanam signal, that must be hardly a 10-minute drive. He could not, in any case, drop me on the other side of the signal, coz if he did that, he would turn into ashes! Amazingly, with such a large heart, he agreed to drop me close to the signal so that, I could atleast, walk and cross the signal. Such a great soul! I should build a memorial for him.

Why I said that was, after so much of hard work, he has to be intoxicated, so he has to get up intoxicated in the morning; which is why the great soul, the auto-karan had eyes that were a deeper shade of red than the sari of Goddess Durga. How could I have disturbed his dream state, where he would be holding interviews with the Presidents of nations, and asked him to do a lowly job like driving me to some god-forsaken place! How callous of me?

Well, I have decided not to trouble these great souls of our nation and instead go and pester the other transports, which are already bugged by people like me, who want to go to n fro from stupid places like banks, software companies etc etc..

How sad!

Well, from tomorrow onwards, the plight of such great souls would change!

Comments

  1. Nice One...like the description of a Bus as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Defining LOVE for the Chennai audience :)

Nithya Suresh Kaun Hai?

Being All Parts