Of Veg fried rice, Pulao, and Veg biriyani

I always thought I knew the difference between these three, Veg pulao, Veg fried rice, and Veg biriyani. Did you know that actually there is no difference among the three items? Well, if you go by the number of veg-non veg restaurants dotting the panorama, the dish looks pretty much the same. Here is how a dish of Peas pulao will normally look like:










In the rest of the world also the above dish looks the same. But, only in southern India, especially in the bustling city called Chennai, the dish takes various forms and names. Here, the same Vegetable fried rice is sold as Veg biriyani, Veg pulao, Peas pulao, Mixed fried rice, Veg rice, Colored rice, Mixed rice, Variety rice, and so many more. Phew. The poor pulao has got so many names here that it would have forgotten how it originally looked like. Well, let me not resort to anthropomorphism.

Let us now see how a normal (to the rest of the world) Veg fried rice looks like:



I ate a dish today that was called Veg fried rice in the menu, but resembled a non-colored biriyani! :-)
I am wondering...actually don't have the energy to do so after downing that oily, yet yummy dish called Veg fried rice. Who was that great man who said, what is in a name? Well, true, what is in a name, as long as I like what I am eating and my taste buds dance to the music. I am happy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Defining LOVE for the Chennai audience :)

Nithya Suresh Kaun Hai?

Being All Parts