The woman called Seeta...

Here is a true account of a woman called Seeta. She works as a technical writer in my company.
_____________________________________________________________________________
In a distant town outside Chennai lived a woman called a Seeta. She used to live in her dream world, always, and float around, unaware of her surroundings. She lived liek this for years, not gathering any moss. She managed to complete a PG degree in Physics and got into the corporate world. Now, here, things went totally out of control.

People in the corporate world expected her to be dynamic, attentive, hardworking and bla bla. Seeta, couldn't care less. She kept smiling inwardly and continued her tryst with herself. 

She joined a software major, HCL, as a technical writer. Seeta had a solid grip over the language and could shoot off her mouth whenever she wanted. She wrote well too. The hiring manager saw immense potential and hired her at a premium salary, whatever she quoted. A few months went by...

Anjan, Project Manager for Retail sent out a request for resources to the resource head, Kalpana. Anjan got a list of probable candidates with the requisite skillsets. Seeta Raman stood out. Anjan called her for a meeting. He had a critical requirement and wanted to meet the girl before he could hand over the charge to Seeta. He knew it was a mere formality and that by the looks of her CV, Seeta would be a brilliant woman. A gentle knock surprised him. He called out to the person to come in. 

'Excuse me, you wanted to meet me.' A woman announced, entered Anjan's office, and without waiting for an invitation, sat down in an empty chair. Anjan gaped. 

A five feet something woman with shiny black hair (smeared with jasmine oil) adorned with purple flowers and a small greenish ribbon sat in front of him. Anjan cleared his throat and collected himself. 'Err, I am sorry, I think you are in the wrong room, may I ask who you are?' Anjan managed. 

'Anjan, you called me just now. I am Seeta.' 

'Oh! Seeta!' Well, the woman looked anything but a technical writer. Anjan was so horrified with the flowers and the entire make up he decided to postpone this meeting. He cleared his throat and said, 'I am sorry, errr Seeta, I have to rush home. There is an emergency. Can we meet tomorrow?' 

'No, my time is very precious. I dont want to work with you if you cannot do a KT now.' pat came the reply. 

Anjan felt he was in a nightmare. First, he had never seen a more ugly looking woman and a more rude person in his entire career. 

He meekly handed over the printouts to Seeta. She glanced at them, kept them on his table, and said, 'Is that all? You could have sent them by email, why did you bother me with this meeting? Anyway, so when do you want this document? Anyway, I wont work tomorrow, I am going out. I will call and tell you if I will start work on this from day after. Ok? Thank you.'

Anjan stared at the retreating figure. He was aghast at the woman's behavior. He called up Kalpana, pulled her out her bed, and complained about Seeta's behavior.

Kaplana was shell shocked. When she had met Seeta, the latter had seemed like a docile, shy, introverted woman. She had excellent communication skills and was known to be very polite, to the point of being subservient. Kalpana decided to investigate. She made a few calls and found the perfect person to do the job.

Meanwhile, Seeta grimaced when she saw the scope of work document. This task would demand most of her time and she hated it. Her cubicle mate saw her expression and turned to her with worry on her face, 'Seeta, are you alright? Hope you are feeling ok? How is the pain now?'

'It is ok, Jahnvi. You know how it is na, the pain is terrible and I am overloaded with work. I will have to stay back late today also. Yesterday, my mother-in-law beat me up again, see, this mark. I am so fed up ya. Anyway, I have to finish all this. We will talk again.' 

Seeta turned and for an effect, groaned, and adjusted her waist band. Jahnvi looked at Seeta with sympathy and patted her shoulder. 

Seeta wore her ear phones and turned her laptop just so much that Jahnvi could not see her screen. Seeta knew all the tricks. A smug smile and off she went to her favorite website: Youtube.com. 

A few days later, Anjan got a call from his US counterpart, Kate. 
'Anjan, I was wondering about the new Retail plan you were supposed to send me. I wrote to your team mate, as you suggested, and this is the email she sent. I am not very sure I understand it correctly. Could you please explan it to me?' Kate cut the call and in a few seconds an email landed in Anjan's inbox. 

A groan jumped out of Anjan's throat and he immediately dialled Kalpana's number. 'Can you please come to my room? Yes, it is urgent.' 

'It better be urgent, Anjan,' Kalpana warned and sat down. She was scowling big time. She had put her best man on the job and the man had come back with a squeaky clean sheet for Seeta. Anjan had lost his mind! Men!

Kalpana was sure, even today, the matter was far from urgent.

'Read this email, Kalpana.' Anjan turned his laptop screen towards her. Kalpana read the email in a few seconds. She could not believe what she had read, she re-read the whole email a few times. When she turned to Anjan, he had a smirk on his face. 

'What do you want me to do?' 
  
'I am...sorry Anjan, I misunderstood you.' Kalpana apologized. How had her best man gone so horribly wrong? Or was the woman so smart that she had made a fool of all of them? Was she capable of that? Was there something to all this that she was missing?

Kalpana left, a worried expression stuck to her face. Anjan turned to his laptop. He had a lot of fire-fighting to do. Seeta's stinker to the entire Retail division had repaired his reputation and almost wrecked the BU's business deals.

Kalpana wondered, either the woman was a schizophrenic, a mental asylum recruit, or a super smart cookie. She had no interest in finding out either. She had a lot to do.

Seeta Raman was fired with immediate effect.

She smiled when Kalpana called her and handed over the letter. Seeta's smile threw Kalpana off balance, was the woman more loony than they had thought? A parting statement nailed the doubt. 'Kalpana, you know what, good you fired me, anyway, you are such a high class bitch, I was quite sick of you and your silly wallflower ways. Hope you get laid soon. Bye.' Kalpana swallowed a few choicest expletives.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Defining LOVE for the Chennai audience :)

Nithya Suresh Kaun Hai?

Being All Parts