The pressures of being Social!

Man is a social animal. Such a pain in the ass it is, to smile and act nice. Phew!

Finally the day ended. And with it ended the pressure to be nice, smile at the 'big-heads' (translate to Tamizh) and generally act pleasant.

Today began late for me. Got up late, 'coz of the pain in the back, literally. Had no mood to dress up and strut to either the wedding or the get together. I knew meeting oldies at the wedding would be pleasant than being present at the get together. I was so right. I should probably follow my instincts. It always saves me from getting bored to death.

I got a few messages from my dear friend who was going to do a Bharatnatyam performance. I was emotionally bound to go attend her performance. Well, I started from the wedding, which in all respects was more interesting, and reached the get together venue, the office.

I knew I was overdressed for the event. Women had turned out in denims and 'oh check out my wardrobe' dresses. Men who normally say hello turned a blind eye, knowing very well that their bulging at every corner wives were around keeping a stern eye on them.

It was fun. I found a cozy corner and slid into a chair. I switched off to keep myself from pulling my hair out. But even in my hazy state, I managed to register that the Indians are the best in in one thing: the act of catching crows (translate to Tamizh please!) They can do it like no one else. Wow!

A spectacular performance from my friend was received with a lukewarm response whereas a crass 'Lungi Dance' from a big head was given a thunderous applause. OMG! Indians, even if they are from Wharton or IIM-A, need to be adept at doing the crow catching thing well, else, their theses lie in the dust for years.

I was very amused to see the awards being given away for really inane things. So many things caught my attention. I was relieved to run away when my friend (for whom I agreed to bear this social torture) called me for dinner. Khana over, we returned. The drama was finally over. Oh god!

Every place, small, medium, big, runs on the art of catching crow. Period.

   

 

Comments

  1. Anonymous4:00 PM

    Nithya,
    I feel Indians generally , all of us , have a unique combination low self esteem and high ego ...we train infants to act ...smile when an elder visits ...even pushing the chin harshly ...we train school kids to "act" ...as we grow we becoming trained actors ...every mom wants to act like Jaya Bachhan in K3G , every woman wants to look a deadly combination of Katrina and Kiran Bedi ...every man ...of course ...an action actor ...old people want to act like godmen ...become Bhishptamah ...I am stuck in one world stage ...who is real here ....?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Defining LOVE for the Chennai audience :)

Nithya Suresh Kaun Hai?

Being All Parts