Married Women and Money

Can married women use their financial freedom to empower themselves? Can they? If I heard anyone saying yes, I want to meet that woman. And fall at her feet. One of these scenarios is true: she is heading for a divorce, wears the pants in her house, or is simply assertive and does not care too much about what the spouse feels. 

Well, I am talking about the freedom to spend the money she earns. I do not want to be in a position where for even a minute I would have to ask money from somebody, let alone a man. When you dole out money to someone, you automatically feel powerful, showing off your financial prowess to whoever cares to hear. 

Is that bad? It certainly is, from a self respect POV. 

Also, if you earn money but are stopped from using it as and when you want, you would certainly feel restricted. I am not a spender, rather I can be termed frugal also. There are times when I would need to spend on some essentials but may not be allowed to. The reasons are myriad. 

I see these reasons as simply means to curb my freedom. I earn my money, should I not have the freedom to spend it on stuff I may want to buy? What if I have a backup plan and a safe way to save money too? Then, if I have a small kitty where I can dip into occasionally to buy some essentials for myself, my parents, am I wrong? Am I missing the point here? 

Comments

  1. Definitely not. You are right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. People exert control only through money. Even if you have financial freedom, it is rare to see a woman having complete control over her money coz she is often seen as a spendthrift.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Defining LOVE for the Chennai audience :)

Nithya Suresh Kaun Hai?

Being All Parts