Blogathon: March 17, 2017 | Hair Now, Gone Tomorrow

In India, women are expected to have long hair and cutting hair is considered a sin. Especially, if these women are license holders, heaven save them from the wrath of the house help/the corner paan wale bhaiyya/security guy/etc etc. 

Every passer by will have a word or two to say to this woman who has done the unthinkable: cut her hair. Ok, trimming also garners similar sentiments from the world. 

I did something similar last year and eyebrows shot up. I cut my hair!
Here is how I used to look before my haircut:

All hell broke loose. Everybody, from my maid, the security guy, my bus driver, the SME I was working with, the pantry wale bhaiyya, everyone had a thing to say about my haircut. Everyone. My dad loved it, my mum hated it. My mother-in-law decided she liked the cut but wondered how quickly my hair would grow back. Father-in-law declared that this was the perfect cut for my face. And, this is the cut I got:


The man of the house was a fence-sitter. He kept a long face for a while then decided to come out in the open. He hated it. Sigh!

He liked my long-haired self, it seems. I cringed. I mentally tried to calculate the time required for my hair to grow back to its original length. 
So, cutting the story short. It took one full year for my hair to grow back to shoulder length. Only now, DH has forgiven me for my radical decision to chop off my hair. Sigh. Lesson: Even progressive men have a problem adjusting to decisions taken unilaterally by the women in their lives. 

Do I agree to this? Well, maybe not. But, a hurt and sad look is something I can't take easily, so I would certainly check with the DH before doing anything like this. Why? Umm, because I love him and don't want him to feel bad.        

Comments

  1. At times, change helps, most times, change needs help. That's the irony.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Defining LOVE for the Chennai audience :)

Nithya Suresh Kaun Hai?

Being All Parts