Covering the Southern Ridges



 
Went to Singapore for 10 days with the DH. He was going for work. I tagged along. One could write a Behavioural Science tome on the way we both approached the trip. DH approaches everything very clinically. Staid, is how I describe him, mostly. Me, well, less said the better.

At the oh-so-lovely Marina Bay Sands, in that huge suite, seated on the sofa, impeccably dressed, DH woefully looked at me as I got ready for my tryst with Singapore.

"Will you be ok by yourself?" He asked, for the hundredth time. Irritation rose like bile in me. I curbed it. I recognized concern when I heard it. Concern equals to love, especially for a pure blood Capricorn. I looked at him, went over, gave a sweet peck and said, "Yesss, I will be just fine, don't you worry. Get going, you will get late for your meeting." He looked at me doubtfully, but then, he had no choice. He had meetings the whole day and I could have slipped out without his knowledge or so he surmised. Anyway. So, off I went, armed with maps and water bottles, on my walkathon in Singapore.
I visited many places, touristy types, mostly. I got truly hyped about visiting the Southern Ridges, having upped my excitement quotient just by reading up on the Net. I simply had to do this trek. Henderson Waves was calling me. I had initially decided to take the train and then take a bus to Henderson Waves. This is a architecturally-striking 274-metre long pedestrian bridge that connects Mount Faber Park to Telok Blangah Hill Park.

Since it was already quite late by the time I reached my hotel, I just jumped into a cab. Surprisingly, the cab guy didn't even know this was a tourist place. He kept looking at me to check if I had lost my marbles.
When we finally reached the destination, he peered at the bridge and said, "You wanna visit that?" He must have decided that I was totally cuckoo...I nodded gleefully before hopping off. 

Here I was. Thrilled to bits for having finally arrived at my destination after a few failed attempts. In SG, people who trek are aware of this place, others simply are ignorant. How sad! It has such a breath-taking view of the entire island. I climbed the really steep steps to reach the top.


Some guys on a selfie spree let me pass politely before resuming their click-click-click game.
I had decided to walk the entire stretch. By the time I reached the middle, I decided I had to do some course correction. It was getting dark and I really wanted to catch the train back home, err hotel. So, I dropped the idea of walking to the other end and started walking back.
 
 
(Me: After the exhausting but exhilarating trek)

So, if you go to SG, don't fail to pay a visit to this lovely place. Arm yourself with water, hat, sunglasses, and a cool camera. The view is lovely and the walk is pure bliss. Wear some good sturdy shoes, if you will. You can do the entire trek (till Faber Peak, I believe) if you have the energy or get off in the middle, like I did. Upto you. Have fun! 





Oh, before you go, here are some nice links, which I found very useful:

Trip Advisor
Singapore Tourism Site 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Defining LOVE for the Chennai audience :)

Nithya Suresh Kaun Hai?

Being All Parts