Silverscreen - An ode to simplicity



Saw Vellithirai, ahem, last evening. With my friend, and two mothers.


I found it quite entertaining, as I usually find movies. And I thought the script was quite strong but so much work could have been done to pep up the dialogues.

Here is a snapshot of what I loved about 'Silverscreen' and what I didn't.

I loved:



  • The cinematography

  • Prakashraj

  • Prithviraj

  • The climax

  • To a certain extent, the story line

  • The way in which Prakashraj makes us believe that he is such a bad actor!


I didn't quite like:


  • Gopika's over-mushy behaviour

  • The forgettable songs

  • Non-existent background score

  • The contextual humor


Vellithirai is a nicely-made-remake (Ok, Manguda?). Anyday, better than the Billas, Thottas, and Anjaathes. It has something for every person in the audience.

Prakashraj takes the accolades, for making every person hate KK, aka Kannaiappan. On the other hand, Prithviraj makes you sit up and notice, the way the calm and composed Saravanan, uses his intelligent maneuvers to deliver the climax. Though it has been ripped off from a Hollywood movie, it still satiates our Tamil taste buds. This is surely a director's movie.

As the character Saravanan says, "The viewers laugh when you want them to, cry when you want them to, so it is your supreme duty to be loyal to them, and not feed them trash in the name of cinema."

More power to the director!

Comments

  1. I liked the excerpts shown in the tv channels...actually want to catch this film this weekend..

    I love the scene where prithviraj corners prakashraj with a fantastic logic "Edaikum vayasukkum ennada sambandham...appidina innoru 20 kgs kuracha enna kuzhandhai natchathiram aayida mudiyuma" LoL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do check my review of Arai En 305-il Kadavul and leave your comments

    http://cine-reviews.blogspot.com/2008/05/arai-en-305-il-kadavul.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Defining LOVE for the Chennai audience :)

Nithya Suresh Kaun Hai?

Being All Parts