Fan: A review by another Fan


DH got a heavy duty internet pack and had been dropping hints about streaming movies online. I suddenly realized that I had lost that allure for watching or absorbing stories, at least visually. There is something that happens when I get absorbed in a story or the visual element of a movie.

In a similar state of mind, I watched Fan. SRK’s movie after a long gap. I think the last movie I watched was the disastrous Happy New Year. I had almost given up on King Khan and I watched HNY only because of Deepika and that lovely number called “Kamli”.


I ignored Dilwale and didn’t even bother to watch it free. So, when Fan was being promoted, I turned a blind eye and a deaf ear. I had written him off. Almost. I was kinda sad too, ‘coz I thought a man like him must go down with grace. Not resort to gimmickry like how he did in HNY but I would have wanted him to play more Mohan Bhargav kinda roles.   


Yes, I grew up with him and even dreamed of him as a teen. Probably, like millions of girls who swear by him. So, SRK had always had a special place in my heart. So much so that I almost broke up with a boyfriend ‘coz he hated him. Sigh!


So, with a lot of trepidation and misplaced anxiety, I watched Fan. Last night, we streamed it live. First, I booted my laptop, having decided that the movie would be a damp squid. The first scene got me rooted and I never knew when my laptop went to sleep.


Fan is SRK’s baby throughout. SRK the star and SRK the Fan are just awesome. As the star, SRK throws enough weight around to make you cringe and wonder if you were in your senses when you became his fan. As Gaurav, the Fan, SRK has done a fabulous job. He has outdone all his previous negative roles. I could sense the tension in Gaurav when the Star confronts him and says he was the one who threw him in jail. That said, thankfully there was no glamorous heroine to take the focus away! The director has smartly kept the script running tautly between the two SRKs.


I liked the ending but it kinda left me sad. Is that the treatment a fan should be getting? Well, I don’t mean to say that SRK the star should invite Gaurav over for tea. But, once he knew the gravity of the situation, the star could have handled it a bit better. But, then if the star had handled it well, Gaurav would have returned home, a happy man, and remained, a Fan. Kahanai khatam, paisa hajam.   

     
Because, SRK has to say, picture abhi baaki hai mere dost, we have the Star behaving like a dud and the Fan becoming a monster. Well. All’s well that ends well. Fan is a hit. I loved it and I know why SRK is a superstar!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Defining LOVE for the Chennai audience :)

Nithya Suresh Kaun Hai?

Being All Parts